- The last search term that you used within the site
- Your preference in terms of accessible viewing options
- A unique ID to track your session from page to page, which is vitally important should you sign into the site
- Which page you are looking at within a multi-paged index of content, or search results.
Certain cookies are persistent, meaning that they last beyond your session, enabling an enhanced user-experience when you return to the site.Again, a non-exhaustive list of examples of the use of persistent cookies includes:
- The option to "Remember my username" when signing-in to the site
- The fact that you have voted in a poll, so that you are prevented from voting multiple times